Re: file transfer between two debian sarge machines in a lan

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 03:46:30PM -0800, L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> I think I was not clear in my statements. Two machines A and B are
> in lan coonected to DHCP server which gives random ip addresses on
> each boot. They are not constantly on. Each machine has only one
> user. Both ids are different. I am not very good at networking. I used
> passwordless ssh when both machines had same user with same uid and
> machines had static ip. Here users are different and IP allocated is
> different in every boot.  Configuring dhcp server is not under the
> user control.
> In such a case, how to find what IP is allocated to other machine so
> that ssh can use that host.
> Purpose is simply to transfer a file to other pc so that other user
> can use it may be mp3 file or docs etc.

No matter what mechanism you use for copying, you will need to know the
IP of the box which you are not using to initiate the transfer.

nmap can be used to scan your network and find out what IP addresses are
in use.  Alternatively, your router probably has some way to display the
DHCP leases in effect.  However, if you only have two machines on the
network, you should assign them static IP addresses, and also add those
assignments to your /etc/hosts file so that you can refer to the
machines by name.