Re: file transfer between two debian sarge machines in a lan

On 2/24/06, L. V. Gandhi <lvgandhi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/23/06, Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> wrote:
> > I transfer files and maintain systems on the lan all the time with scp
> > and ssh which are configured to avoid re-typing passwords.  There's a
> > good discussion here:
> >
> > Password-less logins with OpenSSH
> > http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/152
> >
> > I prefer to use passwords but only need to enter one password to enable
> > all the others, as described above.
> Thanks Ralph, Mike, Anthony, Magnus, Philippe and Felipe.
> I think I was not clear in my statements. Two machines A and B are in
> lan coonected to DHCP server which gives random ip addresses on each
> boot. They are not constantly on. Each machine has only one user. Both
> ids are different. I am not very good at networking. I used
> passwordless ssh when both machines had same user with same uid and
> machines had static ip. Here users are different and IP allocated is
> different in every boot.  Configuring dhcp server is not under the
> user control.
> In such a case, how to find what IP is allocated to other machine so
> that ssh can use that host.
> Purpose is simply to transfer a file to other pc so that other user
> can use it may be mp3 file or docs etc.
> --
> L.V.Gandhi
> http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/
> linux user No.205042

What device handles the dhcp leases of the 2 pc's ?

It would be wise to install bind (or some less robust DNS server in
your case) and have the machines do a dynamic dns updates to this DNS
server each time the are rebooted.

Later on you would access the machine's not by IP but by dns name. In
the same way you access debian.org rather then 192.25.206.10

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).

Do u GNU ?