Re: Error rebooting after upgrade from 2.6.12-i36 to 2.6.15-i686

Hendrik Sattler wrote:
Arnau Rebassa Villalonga wrote:

  I've installed a new Dell poweredge 850 server with SCSCI disks
formated as ext3 from a netinstall, it run smoothly and installed the
2.6.12-i386 kernel image. After the aptitude dist-upgrade, I upgraded
the linux-image to the 2.6.15-686 and also to 2.6.15-686-smp (having
with both the same result) and when I reboot the machine it displays the
following errors:

  Alert! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

  /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

and a busybox shell appears. Anybody knows how to fix this?

I also have this problem and I also have root on a SCSI disk.
I guess this is something about this damn initramfs and an driver that does
not get loaded.
Also udev shows LOTS of errors prior to that.

Sometimes it helps to use mkinitrd.yaird to build the initrd (instead of
the default mkinitrd). You can try to install the package "yaird" and
put the following line in /etc/kernel-img.conf:

ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird

(see "man mkinitrd.yaird")

Then do a dpkg-reconfigure of your linux-image-2.6.15-xxx and see if
that gives you a working initrd.

Regards,
           Florian