Re: sound issue

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:20:20 -0500
Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

Hello. On a Sarge machine with 2.4.27-2-686 kernel on a Pentium II machine, I'm having problems with sound. I'm using alsa, with the modules installed. I've run alsaconf, and have enabled sound for gnome applications (gnometris, music player, etc). This works fine, until I try to run a kde program (ie, kolf, or kbattleship), at which point the machine balks, and tells me that the device is not found, and that it is switching to the "null output" device instead. Then, I need to run alsaconf again, to get sound back to general programs (the internet, doom, defendguin). The gnome programs continue to have sound, but the kde programs are then silent. If I disable the gnome sound daemon, then both kde and general programs have sound, whereas gnome programs do not. I find this irritating, and just want sound to come from all the programs (without worry). I tried upgrading to the 2.6.8 kernel image, but I was unable to load modules for the sb-awe64 soundcard (I even tried alsa-source, via module-assistant, but it failed to load the modules). Any suggestions for how I can get sound working consistently on all the programs?

I'm no sound guru, but there are a couple of things that may help you. 1) both gnome and kde use different sound daemons and they're probably conflicting with each other. There should be a way to set these things to just use alsa. 2) your alsa setup may need to be setup for software mixing. google "alsa dmixer" and you should get something to help you there. probably what is happening is the gnome sound daemon is taking over your soundcard and nothing else can get at it. I'm pretty sure the gconf editor has a setting to use alsasink instead of esound. look under g-streamer settings.  sorry its vague, but hth.

I tried messing around with the Multimedia Systems Selector, in the Gnome Control Centre. To give myself different option from the osssink it was set on, I installed various other gstreamer packages. Alas, I now have no sound what-so-ever. It seems to set up perfectly via alsaconf, identifying my sound card (SoundBlaster Live), but, for some reason, it sets up for a non-existent card instead:

"4405 7839 (failed: processes still using sound devices: 8064(gnome-settings-)). /etc/init.d/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices: 8064(gnome-settings-). Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec snd-util-mem snd-hwdep snd-bt87x snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc (failed: modules still loaded: snd-bt87x snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc).
Building card database..."

ALSA Mixer indicates it is set for a Brooktree bt878, instead of using snd-emu10k1. How do I fix this?