Re: gnome broken ????

Ray Lanza wrote:

> I tried that and a bunch of other stuff.  I even created a new account
> expecting it to initialize properly on the first login but symptoms
> were the same, three icons on the desktop but no panels.  KDE seems to
> works okay except that the window system hangs when you logout.
>
>    ray
>
> mslinuz wrote:
>
>> Ray Lanza wrote:
>>

>>> I did an update from "testing" today which seems to have broken
>>> gnome.  None of the panels start. All I have displayed is a couple of
>>> icons.
>>>
>>>    ray
>>>

>> How about removing your $HOME/.gnome2 to something else such
>> $HOME/.gnome2.OLD ?
>>
>> Maybe somebody in this list could explain how this thing happen.
>> < It's happen at least more than five time with me >
>>

>> .:: mslinuz ::.
>>
>> Send instant messages to your online friends
>> http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com

Please do not top post. Many people here doesn't like it ;-)
So, a couple of icons which are desktop icon is displayed but not the panel.
Take a look at your $HOME/.gnome2/session.
There should be some line telling that gnome-panel should be started for
the session.

1,Program=gnome-panel
1,CurrentDirectory=/home/welly
1,CloneCommand=gnome-panel --sm-config-prefix /gnome-panel-AMLqCZ/
1,RestartCommand=gnome-panel --sm-config-prefix /gnome-panel-AMLqCZ/
--sm-client-id 117f000001000113740872500000114570001 --screen 0

If not then add those lines. But make sure you backup the original one.

Send instant messages to your online friends http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com