Re: Virtual Folders

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:36:51PM -0600, Grant Thomas wrote:
> Is there anything around like the virtual folders in the MS Vista beta, or
> like Spotlight in OS X?
> Incase anyone is not familar with the term virtual folder:
> A virtual folder is basically a realtime folder view of saved searches.
> The folder looks through the entire index, and logically groups files
> together by filters instead of putting them in the same physical directory.
> I assume it works off of an indexing service.
>
> Any help would be great, I have looked through some of the Debian apt
> mirrors, and searched google, but have found nothing.
This might totally be what you have not in mind, but something like this
will take a search and put all matches as a link into a directory:

mkdir ~/tmp/virtual_ooffice; for b in `locate /home/*\.sxw`;
do cp -l $b tmp/virtual_ooffice/; done

This one-liner can be enhanced/changed to all your whishes, basically
any file matching program can replace the locate in backticks.
Also some quotes would be needed for escaping weirdly named files.
And finally you might want to build a little shell script that takes
output dir and search pattern as arguments.

But I guess you are looking for something graphical...

--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379