Re: Confused about 64-bit architectures.

On 2006-02-23, Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> wrote:

>> It gives the information -- but not in a dumbed-down enough format for
>> me.  For example, nowhere on that page is the word "Xeon" mentioned,
>> so if I bought a Xeon computer, for example, I wouldn't know from that
>> page alone to install AMD64.
>
> You're right, but in the case of Xeon, it's because Intel makes both 32 bit
> and 64 bit (EM64T) Xeon branded CPUs.

I didn't know that!

> I don't know if that situation
> exists with other processors, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Well, I know that an "Athlon" used to be 32-bit, so I figured out that
an "Athlon 64" would be 64-bit, but obviously they're not all so
straightforward.

> It sounds like what you want is something that says "Intel PIII processors
> use the i386 port" ... etc.  I don't know if that exists, but I agree it
> would be a good resource.  Perhaps someone could put up a page on
> wiki.debian.org?

That would be very useful.  I'm not stupid (of course I would say
that) -- I'm just not very interested in hardware or knowledgeable
about it.