Re: Confused about 64-bit architectures.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:20:59 +0000
Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2006-02-23, Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> wrote:
>
> >> It gives the information -- but not in a dumbed-down enough format for
> >> me.  For example, nowhere on that page is the word "Xeon" mentioned,
> >> so if I bought a Xeon computer, for example, I wouldn't know from that
> >> page alone to install AMD64.
> >
> > You're right, but in the case of Xeon, it's because Intel makes both 32 bit
> > and 64 bit (EM64T) Xeon branded CPUs.
>
> I didn't know that!
>
> > I don't know if that situation
> > exists with other processors, but I wouldn't be surprised.
>
> Well, I know that an "Athlon" used to be 32-bit, so I figured out that
> an "Athlon 64" would be 64-bit, but obviously they're not all so
> straightforward.
>
> > It sounds like what you want is something that says "Intel PIII processors
> > use the i386 port" ... etc.  I don't know if that exists, but I agree it
> > would be a good resource.  Perhaps someone could put up a page on
> > wiki.debian.org?
>
> That would be very useful.  I'm not stupid (of course I would say
> that) -- I'm just not very interested in hardware or knowledgeable
> about it.

Seems to me that processor detection should be built in somewhere. Maybe in the install. AFAIK, -i386 based kernels will run on more modern hardware. SHould the installer boot to a -i386 kernel, do a processor check and notify the user that they do or do not have the appropriate kernel on their install disk? Is there room to put all the kernels on the main install disk? net install should surely be able to handle this. Been a while since an install, so I don't know whether this is done already...