Re: Determine order of network interfaces

On 2/23/06, Alex Nordstrom <lx@se.linux.org> wrote:
Information on which version of Debian and which kernel you use would be
useful in answering this question. Whether or not you use udev would
also be relevant.

Thanks for the quick reply! I use debian 3.1 with the 2.6.8-2 kernel.

Thursday, 23 February 2006 19:01, Ketil Froyn wrote:
> Specifically, my problem is that the firewire driver suddenly started
> using eth1 instead of eth2 yesterday. It hadn't done this before, and
> I had to change my interfaces file as a result. The issue is that I
> want a normal interface to be on eth1, and I want to be certain that
> this never changes again. I have tried to edit /etc/modutils/aliases
> and added (near the top)
>
> alias eth2 eth1394

If you use a 2.6 kernel, the modutils package which provided
the /etc/modutils/alias file for 2.4 kernels has, as the package's
description states, been superseded by the module-init-tools package.
It appears the corresponding file therein is /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.

 I've tried changing the interface there too, with no luck...

If, however, you use udev, or if using udev is an option for you, it
would probably be easiest and most elegant to write a rule for the
naming of the different components based on their characteristics (such
as MAC address). Here is a good introduction to this approach:

http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2005/12/forcing-network-interface-names.html

I'm not aware that I use udev (dmesg | grep -i udev gives nothing). But I'm concerned that if I start using udev other stuff might change/break, so I'm not too keen actually. If this is the only option I have I'll give it a go, but surely there's another way? My requirement is pretty basic...

Cheers,
Ketil