Re: Determine order of network interfaces

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:01:14PM +0100, Ketil Froyn wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a computer with some network interfaces, and I am unable to
>determine which physical interface gets assigned to which ethX during
>boot.

I've just recently run into the same problem.

>Specifically, my problem is that the firewire driver suddenly started
>using eth1 instead of eth2 yesterday. It hadn't done this before, and I
>had to change my interfaces file as a result. The issue is that I want
>a normal interface to be on eth1, and I want to be certain that this
>never changes again. I have tried to edit /etc/modutils/aliases and
>added (near the top)
>
>alias eth2 eth1394
>
>but this didn't help at all (I remembered to run update-modules, and
>saw the added lines in /etc/modules.conf). Then I tried creating
>/etc/modprobe.conf, with the line

My temporary solution was to change the pattern for one of the devices.
My problematic device is a rt2500-based PCI wireless card. I put the
following in a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ :

 options rt2500 ifname=wlan%d

That renamed my wireless to wlan0, instead of jumping between eth0 and
eth1.

Maybe something similar is possible with the drivers you're using?

>alias eth2 eth1394
>
>and as a result I could remove all the network modules and successfully
>run "modprobe eth2", which had never worked before.However, the order
>was still wrong after rebooting, then eth2 was my normal ethernet
>interface, while eth1 had been "stolen" by the firewire driver again.
>
>So now I wonder how I can force my debian system to let me specify
>which interfaces get which names during boot.

I've seen that Debian policy is to have network interfaces show up as
ethX so I'd very much like to know if there's a way to keep this naming
and still control which physical device is mapped to which interface.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Finagle's Second Law:
Always keep a record of data -- it indicates you've been working.