Re: spurious C warnings..

Thanks - that would appear to be exactly the link I needed...

The ULL suffix does indeed seem to have the desired effect, however I
was under the impression that
	((long)0xFFFFFFFF)
was supposed to be a more syntactically consistent and equivalent form of
	(0xFFFFFFFFL)

in which case ((long long)0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF), which I tried,
should have worked...

This suggests the former just promotes the default type, and a
suffix is the only way to really control the type of a literal.

It also seems inconsitent that no warning is generated for
	long l = 0xffffffff;
given that the literal should be defaulting to int, which on
some architectures is 16 bits so the construct is just as
questionable from a portability standpoint..

Anyway, thanks for the pointer (no pun intended...)..

Regards,
DigbyT

http://www.digbyt.com