Re: lpr/lpd problem printing to remote printer

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:20:10 +0100, bmward wrote:

> I have 2 Debian systems, one with printer and the other used as a workstation. I
> have used lpr/lpd for printing because I have struggled enough with CUPS, but
> clearly not enough struggling to get it to work, and lpr/lpd just worked (once I
> found the need for hosts.lpd).
>
> Now that system is not working because my lpd is running with -s switch
> (presumably as a result of a Debian update). Files sit in the queue on the
> workstation and running lpq simply states "waiting for fred to come up" before
> timing out with "connection to fred is down".
>
> I cannot figure out how to fix it. The lpd man page mentions the hosts.lpd file,
> but I've got one of those which should work (it used to) unless there is a
> change to the  syntax of entries.
>
> I know the problem is the -s switch for lpd, for if I run lpd without it,
> printing works. Is it possible for lpd printing to work with the -s switch? If
> so, how? What is the secret?
>
> Thanks
> Bruce
> Ward

On which system are you running the -s flag? From the man page:
-s      The -s flag selects "secure" mode, in which lpd does not listen
             on a TCP socket but only takes commands from a UNIX domain
             socket.

You cannot use -s on the daemon running on your Print server, as you have
to be able to receive connections from your clients. Use your hosts.lpd to
protect the daemon, or restrict access to TCP port 515 (printer port)
using iptables.

Tom.