pmount + hal + dbus work, but generate too many syslog entries for card reader.

I've installed pmount, dbus and hal and they seem to work fine,
although I noticed last night that my syslog file was over 2MB!

As long as my camera memory card reader is plugged in -- but with no
card in it -- /dev/sda is present (as I think it should be) but every
two or three seconds the following entries appear in syslog:

Feb 21 23:41:29 garcia kernel: sddr09: could not read card info
Feb 21 23:41:29 garcia kernel: sddr09: could not read card info
Feb 21 23:41:29 garcia kernel: sda: assuming Write Enabled
Feb 21 23:41:29 garcia kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through

Since pmount works, I assume this is nothing to worry about, but it
bugs me that there is so much unnecessary stuff in syslog.  So I have
two questions:

1. Is this anything to be concerned about?

2. If not, how do I suppress the messages (other than by unplugging
   the card reader when I'm not using it)?

Thanks,
Adam