Re: Modem changes behavior after Sarge Update

Hal Vaughan wrote:
On Tuesday 21 February 2006 22:37, John Hasler wrote:

Hal Vaughan writes:

Does kill look for lock files and release devices?

No.  Kill just sends a signal (default SIGTERM).  Minicom catches the
signal, cleans up by closing files and restoring the terminal settings and
then exits.  Sounds like it restores the serial port settings as well.  Try
'kill -9': that cannot be caught (it will leave the terminal in a strange
state, though.  Use 'reset' to fix it).

I used kill and kill -9. The latter also has that effect (of dropping the DTR).

The kill command is really misnamed, it should be called send-signal.
By default it sends a process the signal SIGTERM (terminate).
When you use kill -x where x is a number, it sends signal number x.
Signal 9 is SIGKILL. You may find a list by using

$ kill -l

Glad you got your modem working.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.