Re: gtk file picker and firefox

> Now for some reason, firefox remembers only one application per file
> extension. For example, let's say, it knows to open pdf files in xpdf.
> Now if I want to change it to acroread, I have to go through the
> filepicker dialog, which involves going through /usr/bin directory. The
> moment you enter /usr/bin, it tries to load all the files in the
> /usr/bin directory and the machine is not responsive for quite a bit of
> time (say 30 seconds). This kind of thing does not happen in konqueror
> where it can remember multiple applications for the same file extension.
> I think it pretty impressive that the konqueror guys got it right.

Odd.  I have the opposite scenario.  I have selected multiple apps in
firefox (dunno whether I did it via ~/.mailcap and ~/.mime.types, or
via something within firefox -- a cursory search doesn't tell me how I
did it), and I've got a choice of "open with" (with the apps I have
preselected, or a filepicker to pick another app), or "save to disk".

Now, I have also gotten konq to give me multiple apps for differnt
filetypes (and gee, wasn't that a tedious process?  I hate GUIs that
can't have config files written by hand), yet it pops up a redundant
dialog box that asks me again what to run, but doesn't give me the
choice of what to run (there's a button, clicking it selects the app
written on the button face, but nothing I have done yet lets me change
what the button says), picking only the first choice.