usb stick not aumounting and no icon on desktop

Hello,

It appears that udev (or something) is not working right in Debain Etch.
Earlier today I upgraded a bunch of packages and now USB stick
automounting has stopped working. I do not get the USB icon on the
desktop when I insert a USB thumb drive into a USB slot even though I
see that it is detected (in /var/log/syslog) and that its link is made
(e.g. /dev/sda1). It is just not automounted (as it used to be) nor is
its icon shown (it used to).

Moreover, the link in /dev/ shows it is owned by the floppy group!
> ls -l /dev/sd??
brw-rw----  1 root floppy 8, 1 2006-02-20 01:48 /dev/sda1

Does anyone what is going on?

I belong to the plugdev group and I am using 2.6.12 kernel. And I have
currently:

> dpkg -l hotplug udev dbus* gnome-volu* plugdev hal
No packages found matching plugdev.
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                  Version               Description
+++-=====================-=====================-==========================================================
ii  dbus                  0.60-5                simple interprocess
messaging system
rc  dbus-1                0.23.4-8              simple interprocess
messaging system
pn  dbus-1-dev            <none>                (no description available)
pn  dbus-1-doc            <none>                (no description available)
pn  dbus-1-utils          <none>                (no description available)
rc  dbus-glib-1           0.23.4-8              simple interprocess
messaging system (GLib-based shared li
pn  dbus-glib-1-dev       <none>                (no description available)
un  dbus-qt-1             <none>                (no description available)
pn  dbus-qt-1-dev         <none>                (no description available)
rc  dbus-qt-1c2           0.23.4-8              simple interprocess
messaging system (Qt-based shared libr
ii  gnome-volume-manager  1.4.0-4               GNOME daemon to
auto-mount and manage media devices
ii  hal                   0.5.6-4               Hardware Abstraction Layer
pn  hotplug               <none>                (no description available)
ii  udev                  0.084-5               /dev/ and hotplug
management daemon

regards,
->HS