Re: Really stupid question...

Andy Anderson wrote:

> Okay, I'm sure everyone here knows how to do this
> except me...
>
> I have a server with some disk space shared using
> Samba.  Each user has an account and a home share.
> When a user logs in to a workstation, I'd like their
> home share on the Samba server to be automatically
> mounted, and then unmounted when they log off.
> I'm using Gnome/GDM with Debian Sarge.  I'm sure
> there is an easy way to do this that I haven't found...
>
> Thanks for any assistance in this.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand, but after reading your mail, I have 2
assumtions:
1. Users use debian with gnome/gdm in the different machine and need
   to mount the share everytime they log in.
   Create a directory for mounting user share.
   Then create a file with 0700 for everyuser place in a save place :

   #!/bin/bash
   smbmount //serveraddress/sharedfolder /pathtomountingpoint -o
   username=whatever,password=pwd;
   exit 0;

   add these line to $HOME/user/.bashrc :

   if [ -f PATHTOSCRIPTFILE ]; then
       . PATHTOSCRIPTFILE;
   fi

   that's all.

2. Users use windows :
   Create a batch file with these lines and place it in a very safe
   place.

   @echo off
   net use Z: \\serveraddress\sharedfolder /user:username password

   you can modify the drive letter to suit your need.
   open regedit ( Start->Run->Regedit )
   browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
   Version\Run
   create a String value give the unique name and modify its content
   "PATHTOBATCHFILE"

   Or just place the file into user's Startup folder.

cheers,

mslinuz

Send instant messages to your online friends http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com