wine 3d very very slow, toolchain problem?

Recently I have built my own compilation of wine on Debian, three
different revisions (0.9.6 .7 and .8). All of these versions are
compiled correctly. I have noticed an odd problem with these builds of
wine, and the commercial cedega fork of wine on Debian.

My dilemma:
I used to play WoW alot.. on linux even! But since my reinstall, I've
had no such luck.. For those that have played World of Warcraft, I am
currently pulling a massive 13fps in the horde's crossroads, and 5fps
if I am lucky in Orgrimmar.. Now, these rates are horrible for my
hardware, and on my last Debian install I would get at least
acceptable framerates. I get these pitiful framerates on wine AND
cedega, so I am pretty assured that I have compiled wine correctly.

I have nvidia-kernel-source installed and modules built for both of my
kernels, 2.6.15.4 mainline and also 2.6.15-ck4. nvidia-glx and
nvidia-glx-dev are installed, as are the proper libraries wine
requires.

Hardware:
Pentium D 830 (3GHz dualcore)
1.5GB RAM
Asus P5LD2 Mobo
nVidia 6600 256MB PCI-E

What I have tried to remedy this situation:
Different builds of wine
Different versions of cedega
Tried mainline kernel, and Con's patchset
Tried both wine and cedega

Some odd things to note:
While running wine, if I attach strace to wine's process which uses
the most cpu (I don't recall if its just 'wine' or 'wineserver' at the
moment, either or) strace just shows a TON of sched_yield() = 0 ... I
talked to Con Kolivas about this problem and he said it may be related
to a toolchain bug due to mainline and his ck patchset kernels showing
the same effect. I am not very knowing about how the Debian toolchain
is setup so maybe someone could enlighten me on this possible problem?

I am at a loss as what to do at this point. My past install 2 months
ago worked fine.. This is nearly a brand new install, and it just
isn't working properly with wine and this game.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-r