Re: Why does aptitude do this?

Marty wrote:
Did it acquire a GUI? My Sarge version only seems to have a curses interface.

I'm guessing that the reference to a "GUI" was to aptitude's "interactive" mode, which is indeed a curses interface.

They are (or at least should be) complementary, not competing tools.

As I understand it, it's not a good idea to mix-and-match between apt-get and aptitude. I believe aptitude works best when it is the only package manager in town.

According to Martin Krafft's site, aptitude is now to be preferred over apt-get, certainly for dist-upgrades. See http://debiansystem.info/readers/changes/181-aptitude-upgrades