Re: xmms in sid

* Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> [2006 Feb 19 03:06 -0600]:
> On Feb 18 2006, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> [About xmms]
> > Despite the slight version difference, the changelog does show quite a
> > few fixes and improvements.  Not bad for a package no longer
> > officially in development anymore.
>
> I didn't know that xmms wasn't in development anymore. What is its
> substitute? I've been using moc (Music On Console), already packaged in
> Debian, which is able to play a quite impressive list of music formats.

I guess it isn't quite fair to say that XMMS is no longer in
development.  As I understand it, development of the "old" XMMS ceased
after version 1.2.10 and the developers turned their attention toward a
new version, hinted at 2.0.  In the meantime a group of other
developers (not 4-Front) opted to port XMMS 1.2.x to GTK 2.0 and
released Beep Media Player (BMP).  Now, BMP has split as some developers
want to rewrite BMP (now known as BMPx) while others have continued
with the old codebase and the name has changed once again to Audacious
(not to be confused with Audacity the audio editor).

> I'm just curious to know what others are using.

BMP for Internet "radio", CD's, local audio files, etc., [g]mplayer for
those Windows Media files people invariably send, Kaffeine or VLC for
DVD playback.  I guess I like certain skins too much to employ a
console app for media playback.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of