Configuring the Keyboard in an Acer Laptop

Hello!!!

I know it must be a silly question, but I want to know how I configure
my Acer laptop's keyboard to understand characters like 'c, 'a and ~a,
for instance (these ones are not like that, I just typed this way
because I can't do the right ones). My laptop is an Acer Aspire
3002LCI and its manual has this specification: 88/89 key keyboard.

Another thing. I've added in my /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file the line
"/usr/bin/bbkeys &" before "/usr/bin/blackbox" for bbkeys to come up
when blackbox starts, but it didn't work. Is there another file I have
to set these commands for it to work? I've tried ~/.xinitrc but
without success.

It may be strange but my /etc/inittab has 3 as the boot's level but
when boot process finishes the X login screen come up, not the shell
login. Is there anything else to configure to start the system at
level 3?

Regards

--
Henrique