Re: moving (and losing?) partitions with cfdisk

Levi Waldron wrote:
2006/2/16, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@sbcglobal.net>:

Remember, before doing anything to try to fix this, copy off
your MBR, and the first sector of each partition you need to

[snip]

Will do, tomorrow.  My laptop is still networked (thanks knoppix!) so

Yes, KNOPPIX is a wonderful tool. I use Fedora Core on my machine, but
I support my girlfriend's machine, whom I talked into installing
Linux instead of WinXP. I downloaded several LiveCDs for her to try,
and KNOPPIX was the one she liked best, so I got her to use Debian.
So I came here the better to support her.

I can email partition/sector data.  I presume that I should backup the
the first sector of each partition using dd?

Umm, I guess you are asking technique? Yes, dd is what I had
in mind.

You get the MBR using /dev/hda, you get the first sector
of the partitions from /dev/hda1, /dev/hda7, etc.

But you knew that.

Shoot us an e-mail about what happened when you can.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.