Re: Why do I bother?

On Thursday 16 February 2006 16:01, Katipo wrote:
> Magnus Therning wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 03:47:58AM -0500, Edward Shornock wrote:
> >>On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:12:18PM -0800, S Clement wrote:
> >>[...]
>
> Yes, but why go to the extent of making modifications to yourself in
> order to give yourself some degree of limited access to a failed system?

> After some considerable number of years running windows, I would have to
> question that.

> I think a look in the mirror would be appropriate at this stage.

I would suggest the same to you.  Are you here to help him or blame him?  He's
stuck, he's frustrated.  He's letting us know.  This is one of the very
reasons this list is here.

> >>Oddly enough, I find Debian and Linux in general to be much easier to
> >>"make it work"...
> >
> >Even more oddly, I find Debian easier to install...
>
> I find Microsoft utterly repugnant.
>
> Perhaps if the O.P. would be so kind as to advise as to which particular
> bridge he lives under, I should be more selective about which direction
> I choose when out and about.

Your attitude is exactly the kind of trolling that kept me from using Debian
until within the past year.  Yes, you.  Katipo.  Not the OP.

I came in with problems, I got fed up, I asked for help and at times voiced
how frustrated I was.  While there were some helpful people on the list,
there were also people trolling against what they called trolls.  It just
turned me off.  I was starting a business, had to worry more about having a
system up and working than having time to tweak this or setup that.

IMHO, DU has gotten a lot friendlier in the past few years and I've seen
Debian and tech snobs get called on obnoxious posts jumping on frustrated
newbies when those same posts would have gotten a number of posts in
agreement several years ago.

In this case, that is what I'm doing to you.  I'm calling you on it and
pointing out that this post is not constructive and only serves to add to the
alienation and frustration a likely non-expert user feels.  He's having
trouble.  Do you want to help him or just piss him off?

Because you are doing a good job at the latter when the purpose here is the
former.

Hal