Re: How to determine the VT of a running X session?

On 02/15/2006 02:00 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Is there any way to determine the virtual terminal that an X session is
> running on?
>
> Using 'who' only tells me who is logged onto a VT, which would be fine,
> except that it  does not show VTs with X sessions.
>
> I have two X sessions running at the same time.  One is going to be
> running on tty7 and the other on tty8.  I want to switch from one to the
> other.  Obviously Ctl-Alt-F7, or Ctl-Alt-F8 will do this, but, I have no
> way of knowing which tty the current session is using since which
> session is on which tty depends on the order that they were started,
> which might vary.
>
> Is there a way to programmatically determine which tty is active and
> switch to the other.  That way, regardless of which session I am using,
> and which tty it is attached to,  a single  method will switch to the
> other session/tty.
>
> Alternatively, is there any way to specify which tty an X session is
> started on.  If I can say "start this X session on tty8 even if there is
> no session on tty7," or "always start this X session on tty7" then I
> would know exactly which Ctl-Alt-Fx sequence to use to switch to the
> desired session.

Using gdm, you can specify...

See /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

# Automatic VT allocation.  Right now only works on Linux.  This way
# we force X to use specific vts.  turn VTAllocation to false if this
# is causing problems.
FirstVT=7
VTAllocation=true

Also, info in /var/log may help you...