Re: udev(?) problem

Hi

I have a pcmcia GPRS-modem (Sony Ericsson GC75e).

On my old laptop which runs Debian Sarge with a homemade 2.6.13.3 kernel
and static /dev, it works fine (appears as /dev/ttyS2).

On my new laptop which also runs Debian Sarge, but with the standard
2.6.8-2-686 kernel and udev (I just did `apt-get install udev` - haven't
had the time to play with it yet), the status is:
- the card is detected (`cardctl ident` shows the same info as on my old
  laptop)
-  according to /var/log/syslog, /etc/pcmcia/serial is run with "start
  /dev/ttyS0" as parameters
- /dev/ttyS0 is not a tty
  Here is (a simplified version of) the C-code I use:
    fd=open("/dev/ttyS0", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK);
    if ( ! isatty(fd) ) {
      printf("/dev/ttyS0 is not a tty\n");
      exit(2);
    }

What have I done wrong (possibly not done at all)?

I'll prefer to stay close as close to Sarge as possible, except that
I'll probably end up compiling my own kernel anyway, and I know that
there are some issue with newer (Debian?) kernels and the version of
udev from Sarge, so I'll probably have to upgrade a few things.

.Henrik (who really needs a new english .signature - I graduaed almost 3
years ago)

--
Henrik Christian Grove
grove@sslug.dk