Re: can't switch to external monitor after KDE 3.5 upgrade

Alexandru Cabuz <alexcabuz@wanadoo.fr>:

> I am using a Dell Latitude D600 with Debian testing. The external monitor
> switch is in software, and it seems like xorg does not recognize it.
> I just did the apt-get dist-upgrade to KDE 3.5 and rebooted and everything
> seems OK except Fn-F8 does not have any effect (it's supposed to switch to
> external monitor).
>
> However, what is interesting is that if I use Ctrl-Alt-F4 (for example) to
> switch to the fourth virtual console, then Fn-F8 *does* work. But as soon as
> I switch back to the 7th virtual console (which the X server uses) the image
> automatically switches back to the LCD display and Fn-F8 doesn't have any
> effect again.
>
> So it seems like this is a problem of the X server.

It does. I have the same problem on my ThinkPad R40 after upgrading to
the latest X.org in etch.

The image is sent both to the LCD and the external screen in text
mode, like I want, but when I start X, it switches off the LCD if an
external monitor is connected, and it won't send to the external
monitor unless it's connected when I start X.

So, to switch between them I have to restart X. This is pretty
annoying, so I'm hoping someone has an explanation as to what has
changed here.

For the record, turning on the external display with radeontool
doesn't work either.