can't switch to external monitor after KDE 3.5 upgrade

Hello,

I am using a Dell Latitude D600 with Debian testing. The external monitor
switch is in software, and it seems like xorg does not recognize it.
I just did the apt-get dist-upgrade to KDE 3.5 and rebooted and everything
seems OK except Fn-F8 does not have any effect (it's supposed to switch to
external monitor).

However, what is interesting is that if I use Ctrl-Alt-F4 (for example) to
switch to the fourth virtual console, then Fn-F8 *does* work. But as soon as
I switch back to the 7th virtual console (which the X server uses) the image
automatically switches back to the LCD display and Fn-F8 doesn't have any
effect again.

So it seems like this is a problem of the X server.

Does anybody know how to go around it or fix it?

Thank you.

--
Alexandru Cabuz
Doctoral Student

--- Please no Word or Powerpoint attachments.
Send plain text, rich text format, html, or pdf instead.