Re: Debian on Dell N02132 Inspiron 1300

Hi Kevin,

> Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> [2006-02-15 06:03]:

thanks for your answer,

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:15:06AM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > for a small home-server, I plan to replace my good-old P1
> > 200MHz with a Dell Inspiron notebook.  The reason for this
> > intention: 3years warranty, low-price, low-energy consumption.

[...]
> > Since Debian is the very only distribution running on my servers,
> > I have three questions:
> >
> > - Has anyone setup, configured and run Debian testing on the Inspiron
> >   1300, yet?  Experiences, nuts and bolts hints/considerations?
> >
> > - Does there exist a list of laptops that are known to run Debian?
> >
> > - Are there other recommendations for cheap laptops with 3years
> >   warranty that run Debian?
> >

> I found (via Google) 2 refs: 1 to gentoo and 1 to ubuntu breezy.
> They seem to suggest good results.

ok.  thanks.

> wired ethernet:ok
> built-in wifi: ndiswrapper(non-free)
> video: 915resolution with 1280x800
> audio: alsa

great!

> do you have any other requirements?

my requirements are quite modest:

- - no X, no standby, no hibernate, no wireless but must run perfectly
  with closed lid and dynamic power-regulation to minimize power
  consumption if not loaded.

- - for backup, easy connection of an external USB drive would be
  helpful.

Thanks very much!

wbr,
Lukas