linux add afghan (dari, pashto, usbek) keyboard layout

Dear all,

as far as I could figure it out there are no afghan keyboard layouts available on my Debian/Linux (3.1) system.

In Afghanistan there are mainly three languages (dari, pashto, usbek) used. The "United Nations Development Program for Afghanistan" has released in 2003 the corresponding keyboard layouts [1].

The corresponding UTF8 code table [2] with the Arabic symbols is also defined.

The fonts should also be available in Debian 3.1 . The program "katoob" (available in Debian 3.1) [3] for example uses Persian/ Arabic fonts.

All parts of the puzzle seem to be available. Can anyone give me some hints how to put the puzzle together? Links to documentation on adding keyboard layouts would also be helpful.

[1] http://www.evertype.com/standards/af/
[2] http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0600.pdf
[3] pool/main/k/katoob/katoob_0.3.8-1_i386.deb

Thanks in advance
Emal