Apt-get broken dependencies

After trying some of the suggestions in :
http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/10/12/1952217&tid=106

I'm still stuck with apt-get refusing to remove gforge-db-postgresql and
gforge-ldap-openldap because they depend on postgresql which was removed first.

dpkg (remove and purge) also fail. ( dpkg sub process returns error code (1) )

even apt-get -f remove doesn't fix the problem because it attempts to INSTALL postgresql (to solve the dependencies), and installing postgresql fails because
/etc/init.d/postgresql is missing.

Now apt-get refuses to upgrade ANY software because of the broken dependencies wth
gforge-db-postgresql and gforge-ldap-openldap.

Why is it impossible to REMOVE packages which depend on packages that are not present? Why is it impossible to force removal (purge) packages which depend on packages that ARE NOT INSTALLED?

I can understand a warning when requesting removal of a package on which OTHER packages do depend, when those packages ARE installed, but this is the opposite case.

This would be something I would just ignore, except NOW apt-get will not install ANY new software because of the broken dependencies.

At the end of the article cite above, it mentioned re-installing everything, as a last resort. If I go that route it will be with another distro, since Debian seems a little tired.

Bottom line: Postgresql (default) with Debian has caused problems since day one, as have gforge, and now I have a dependency mess.