kernel 2.6 SMP on fresh install

I have a question on how to install Debian 3.1 with the option of
using the 2.6 smp kernel.

I have just installed Debian 3.1 and had to chose the 2.6
kernel (the linux26 option) since there was no smp option. After the
installation was completed and working fine, I installed the 2.6 smp
kernel to be able to use the dual processors on my system. Everything
works great but I will be installing Debian on a few other computers
and wanted to know how to have Debian installer install kernel 2.6
smp in the first place without having to install or upgrade to the
smp kernel afterwards.

The only reference in the online manual from your websight says to
install the single processor kernel first then compile new kernel
(even though the installation DVD has 2.4 smp and 2.6 smp on it). If
it is possible, I would like to be able to select 2.6 smp from the
beginning of the installation.  If there is no way of doing that,
will it be available in the future?