Re: cannot move file /var/log/XFree86.1.log.old

on Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 02:58:19AM -0800, ENI WATI (enilee_8@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hi!!
>   My name is eni
> I have a problem with my OS (I use Knoppix ).
> It happend when I had just installed
> LIDS (Linux Intrusion Detection System) in Knoppix.
> The problem is that the sintax :
>         $ startx -- :1
>   cannot be used / cannot work when I want to enter GUI
> and there is message such as :
>         cannot move file /var/log/XFree86.1.log.old
>   Then, I try to use sintax :
>       $ startx
>   but, it doesn't work too.

Please run the following commands and post output:

   ls -l /var/log/XFree86.1.log.old
   lsattr /var/log/XFree86.1.log.old
   mount                 # No arguments, just 'mount'

... which should tell is if there is a permissions or attribute problem
with the file, or if you've mounted the filesystem read-only.

It's also possible that you've got disk errors, you might want to review
the output of 'dmesg' or /var/log/messages for any errors or messages
related to the disk in question.

Peace.

  Information is not power after all: Old-fashioned power is power. If you
  aren't big industry or government, you have very little power. Once they've
  hacked the electronic voting system, you'll have no power at all.
  - Robert X. Cringely