switching to kernel 2.6 - splay "Failed to open sound device" /dev/dsp

In trying to switch to kernel 2.6(.8) and udev on Sarge, I found that
splay/xsplay fails, saying "Failed to open sound device".  Using
strace, I see that opening /dev/dsp is failing:

   open("/dev/dsp" ... ) = -1 EBUSY (Device or resource busy).

I'm not knowingly running any sound daemons, so why would the device
be busy?

Does this sound like a change because of udev or just because of 2.6?

(Is "/dev/dsp" a device from the old sound drivers?  If so, why
is it "device busy" instead of something like "no such device"?)

Thanks.

Daniel