Re: Configuring network

Henrique Rennó wrote:

I know it's not a question concerning laptops but I've just installed
debian Sarge 3.1 in my laptop Acer Aspire 3002LCI and I'm not able to
connect to any other host.

When I try pinging a host I get: Destination Host Unreachable. Like my
network configuration were set wrong. I just passed the IP, network
mask, default gateway and DNS during the installation process. I think
I can change them in /etc/network/interfaces.
Start here; what's the contents of "/etc/network/interfaces"?

Is there any service I have to start to enable the network card to
work fine? I saw some services in /etc/rcS like networking and
ifupdown but restarting them didn't work.
"/etc/init.d/network restart" should do the job.

Also there's a service called MTA that takes too long (about one
minute) to initialize and I would like to know what is it for.
Mail Transport Agent.

I believe it's trying to find a network connection, and not finding one, it takes a while to time out; try pressing Ctrl-C at this point.

--
Kent