Configuring network

Hello!!!

I'm a new debian user (just one week ago) and I'm posting here because
I've sent a message in the debian-laptop list and people there told me
to post here too. I want to know ways of configuring the network.

I know it's not a question concerning laptops but I've just installed
debian Sarge 3.1 in my laptop Acer Aspire 3002LCI and I'm not able to
connect to any other host.

When I try pinging a host I get: Destination Host Unreachable. Like my
network configuration were set wrong. I just passed the IP, network
mask, default gateway and DNS during the installation process. I think
I can change them in /etc/network/interfaces.

Is there any service I have to start to enable the network card to
work fine? I saw some services in /etc/rcS like networking and
ifupdown but restarting them didn't work.

When I boot the system with the network cable connected to the RJ-45
port comes these messages:

Configuring network interfaces...done.
eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex

But without it:

eth0: Media Link Off

Also there's a service called MTA that takes too long (about one
minute) to initialize and I would like to know what is it for.

My lspci (just what is related to network):

0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Sillicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
0000:00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device
4318 (rev 02)

If there's another command for getting more information I'd like to be
aware, then I'd post more information here.

I tried using "ifup -a" to read all interfaces again from
/etc/network/interfaces but it didn't work, still getting "Destination
Host Unreachable".

As I said, I'm a new debian user. I have other machines here with
Slackware and they work fine, but I want to start learning debian too.

Thanks a lot!!!

--
Henrique