Re: Re: Struggling with Xf86config

On 02/11/2006, pinecone wrote:
> I'm running Sarge 3.1 downloaded in the summer. My XF86Config says:
> Core Pointer's Input Section Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "PS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>
> Now, the /dev/psaux is what Knoppix does for the same machne, so I
> tried it.  Knoppix runs just fine and it is based on Debian so you
> can imagine MY UTTER FRUSTRATION!

While I'm no expert, I had that problem 11 months ago moving from 2.4 to
2.6 kernels.

Suggestions:
1) "in the summer" was too long ago.  From log-in console:
Check and/or edit /etc/apt/sources.list then:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade
Now you'll have a known, secure, up-to-date foundation.
Try starting X now...

Send us the relevant errors from XFree86.0.log.

2) I needed to have psmouse and mousedev in /etc/modules on that old
system I mentioned above.

3) On another system with this problem last year, I just used the
Knoppix config file!  Moved /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 out of the way, and
then I used the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 generated by knoppix.

Also, compare /etc/modules, /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and /var/log/
XFree86.0.log from sarge and knoppix runs for any hints...

Good luck!

Ralph