switching to kernel 2.6 - manual "modprobe lp" to dev /dev/lop

In trying to switch to kernel 2.6(.8) and udev on Sarge, I found that
device node /dev/lp0 (for a parallel-port printer I have) doesn't get
created unless I manually run "modprobe lp".

Is the printer (and/or parallel) port supposed to be recognized
automatically and is /dev/lp0 supposed to be created automatically?

Or is it expected that module lp needs to be loaded explicitly
(in /etc/mod...whatever).

Thanks.

Daniel