Re: switching to kernel 2.6 - manual "modprobe lp" to dev /dev/lop

Daniel B. wrote:

In trying to switch to kernel 2.6(.8) and udev on Sarge, I found that
device node /dev/lp0 (for a parallel-port printer I have) doesn't get
created unless I manually run "modprobe lp".

Is the printer (and/or parallel) port supposed to be recognized
automatically and is /dev/lp0 supposed to be created automatically?

Or is it expected that module lp needs to be loaded explicitly
(in /etc/mod...whatever).

Thanks.

Daniel

The only explanation I can immediately think of for this is that in your previous kernel, parallel port support was compiled into the kernel whereas in your 2.6.8 build you have built it as a module. I am assuming you built your kernel from source and didn't take a pre-compiled binary one here -- if you didn't of course you won't KNOW what's modular and what's not -- just one of the many excellent reasons for building your own.

In any case, adding lp to the list of modules to load on startup in the file /etc/modules will fix it -- but if you know you will always want parallel printer support on every boot you probably should have compiled lp into the kernel -- hardly a disaster but it's worth considering carefully what goes in the kernel and what gets compiled as a module so you avoid confusions like this one.

Mark