Re: XOrg+Radeon = No Direct Rendering?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:53:47 +0100
Renato Serodio <renato.serodio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, I forgot about the xorg.conf file..
>
> # xorg.conf (Xorg X Window System server configuration file)
> #
> # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
>
> Section "Module"
> 	Load	"GLcore"
> 	Load	"bitmap"
> 	Load	"dbe"
> 	Load	"ddc"
> 	Load	"glx"
> 	Load	"dri"
> #	Load	"extmod"
> 	Load	"freetype"
> 	Load	"int10"
> 	Load	"record"
> 	Load	"type1"
> 	Load	"v4l"
> 	Load	"vbe"
> 	SubSection	"extmod"
> 		Option "omit xfree86-dga"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R250 Lf
> [FireGL 9000]" Driver		"radeon"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
>
> 	Option	"UseInternalAGPART" "yes"
> 	Option	"RenderAccel" "true"
> 	Option	"AccelMethod" "EXA"
> EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE]"
        Driver          "radeon"
        # Driver                "ati"
        # ChipId                0x4967 - might be needed for dual-head
        Option          "EnablePageFlip" "on"
EndSection

> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
> 	Option		"DPMS"
> 	HorizSync	30-90
> 	VertRefresh	50-60
> EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       31.0-60.0
        VertRefresh     56.2-75.0
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Default Screen"
> 	Device		"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R250 Lf
> [FireGL 9000]" Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
> 	DefaultDepth	24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth		24
> 		Modes		"1680x1050"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE]"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	Identifier	"Default Layout"
> 	Screen		"Default Screen"
> 	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
> 	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
> EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        # InputDevice   "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

> Section "DRI"
> 	Mode	0666
> EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

It looks like our xorg.conf files are pretty close. What happens if you
comment out the BusID and Option lines in your video card "Device"
section? After restarting X, try a glxinfo/glxgears and let us know
what they say. Which Intel chipset is on your motherboard?

Also, I wouldn't bother installing/compiling the ATI drivers. From what
I hear, the drivers in the Linux kernel are a lot better.

HTH,
Jacob