Re: synaptic will not display after upgrade

Iván Alemán wrote:

try as a root:

# xhost +

then

# synaptic &

Iván

... Then, if that works, you can look into the xhost program's man page to see how to use it to allow the specific user ID you need to open consoles on your display. I did something like this a while back to allow me to open a Sybase server configuration tool (which runs as user sybase) on my display (when I was logged in as a different user). Using xhost it was possible to configure only the sybase user, in addition to the user I was logged in as, to open windows on my X client. The important point here is that xhost + will allow ANYONE from ANYWHERE who can reach your computer to open a window on your machine -- not really all that serious you might think since they can't see the output since they are opening on your screen not theirs, but could still consitute a denial of service attack -- forcing you to shut down your computer or disable xhost services and in the process losing useful capabilities... So xhost + will get it working but leave your system vulnerable -- once that is shown to work and we know we are barking up the right tree, you can tweak xhost's parameters to allow only the required user from the required machine (the same machine or another on your network) which is less vulnerable to external attack.

I BELIEVE but could be wrong, that even root isn't automatically allowed to open a window on an X client owned by another user. Mentioned that since I note you are using sudo below.

Mark

PS Ivan -- please don't top post.