Re: synaptic will not display after upgrade

Rodney D. Myers wrote:
I'm running debain sarge on my laptop. After I got out of hispital, I ran upgrate/upgrade, but did not pay any attention to what was being upgraded.

Now when I try to run "sudo synaptic:, I keep getting this error;

sudo synaptic

(synaptic:22313): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I've even tried ssh'ing into this laptop, yet I get this same error message.

It's because in Sarge sudo was updated to version 1.6.8p7-1.3 and that put restrictions on environment variables.

You now have to add into your sudoers:

Defaults env_reset, env_keep+="DISPLAY"

and then sudo /usr/sbin/synaptic will work again.