Re: Debian equivalent to service?

seeker5528@comcast.net wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:44:45 -0500
Jerry Quinn <jlquinn@optonline.net> wrote:

These distinctions (at least 3 and 5) are actually useful when debugging problems with your X config. It just saves a step on some activity.

On debian, I have to kill gdm, fiddle, and restart it.

I can see situations where there would be some value in having
different runlevels for different things, but for the given example I
hardly see the differnce between typing:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

<fiddling with stuff>

/etc/init.d/gdm start

: or typing:

init 5

<fiddling with stuff>

init 3

: Or am I missing something?

I guess the main difference here is acquiring the knowledge of gdm before you fiddle with the X config. I grant it's probably a weak argument, but it's one of many little ways in which Debian demands a higher level of knowledge in order to accomplish things. If I didn't enjoy the process of learning details, I'd probably have long ago left Debian.

But offering a runlevel set up as a server environment with no X might make sense. It seems like a major enough distinction.

Jerry