Re: XOrg+Radeon = No Direct Rendering?

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:30:44 +0100
Renato Serodio <renato.serodio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> my 3D plots were rather slow, and I decided to check:
>
> $> glxinfo
> direct rendering: No
>
> Well, I dug and dug, and here's what I got:
>
> For a functional Hardware Acceleration with Radeon 9200/9000:
> - agp, intel-apg (or other), drm and radeon drivers
> - glx, dri and radeon modules loaded from Radeon
>
> But somehow it's not working. Then I came across a post mentioning
> hardware acceleration had been dropped in favour of nice fonts (??).
>
> I'd like to get my graphics back on hardware, but can't begin to
> understand how. Does anyone have a clue that could help me?

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9200SE here and glxinfo shows:
direct rendering: Yes

I'm running the latest Debian Sid. For a long time I couldn't get more
than about 14fps in ppracer, but I see I'm now getting ~77fps. (It used
to be about 110fps in Xfree86, but it looks really good and has more
detail with the 77fps now, so I can't complain.)

> For reference, here's my config:
> - debian unstable/experimental with 2.6.14
> - XOrg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-4 (module loader present)
> - mtrr (compiled into), agp, agp-intel, radeon, drm as kernel modules
> - Ati Radeon 9200/9000 (as shipped in nx7000/x1000)
> - xorg.conf:
> Modules: glcore, glx, dri
> device: driver radeon, UseInternalAGPART, RenderAccel and AccelMethod
> EXA
>
> Even with glxinfo saying DR is disable, the log shows:
> (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
>
> And last, dmesg|grep agp or dmesg|grep dri don't show a thing

I see a lot of stuff in dmesg about agp on mine. Run lsmod to make sure
you have both agpgart and the appropriate agp driver for your mobo
chipset installed. (I have an nForce2 chipset, so I use the nvidia_agp
driver.)

You might also attach your xorg.conf file to your next e-mail.

HTH,
Jacob