Re: rsync and chown

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:00:50PM +0000, Edward Speyer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm stuck trying to find a nice way to allow rsync / rdiff-backup enough
> permissions to keep ownership information intact at the backup-receiving
> end.
>
> I /could/ run as root on the backup-reciever, but it'd be nice if there
> was a less sledge-hammer approach to the chown problem :)
>
> What's the generally accepted method for network backups using
> rsync-like tools?
>
> Ed

I don't know about "generally accepted", but this is what I do...

I'm using rsnapshot, which uses rsync over ssh, and "pull" backups to
the backup server running as root, but I connect to the backup machines
as an ordinary user.  I use keychain to help automate ssh-agent for
authentication, so I need to connect to the backup host after it boots in
order to authenticate the keys.  By connecting as a regular user I don't
get backups of files that aren't world-readable (other than that user's of
course), but ownership and permissions are preserved on the backup host.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci@uaf.edu