Re: rsync and chown

On (08/02/06 21:00), Edward Speyer wrote:
> I'm stuck trying to find a nice way to allow rsync / rdiff-backup enough
> permissions to keep ownership information intact at the backup-receiving
> end.
>
> I /could/ run as root on the backup-reciever, but it'd be nice if there
> was a less sledge-hammer approach to the chown problem :)
>
> What's the generally accepted method for network backups using
> rsync-like tools?

There are a number of ways to 'skin this particular cat' :)

I made some notes on setting up file servers with automated backup using
rsync using information from the links I included:

http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/FileServer_Install_manual.html

The Mike Reubel page is particularly interesting.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...