Re: Sid/Unstable AMD64 where to find

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:43:33PM -0800, Kees de Koster wrote:
> >> I want to try Debian Sid/unstable on a AMD Athlon X2 64 computer but
> >> can't find the download location, only for I386, I tried that one with
> >> downloading with Jigdo but that doesn't work on that machine.
> >> Can somebody give directions or a URL for Sid AMD 64?
> >

> >Start here:
> >https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto...
> >Regards
> >
> >Clive
>
> Thanks Clive, I already had found that page but the URL's on it are
> deadlinks.
It would be good to tell someone to update the links! Bugreports!

> By reading the page again I decided that I will go for a easier distro
> for the x86_64 computer ;-)
you can still run i386, etc. on an amd. the difference is the speed bump
for more recent/additional instructions.

> I read also on usenet that Debian is a purist on 64bit, so 32bit
> application are difficult to run.
That is true for now. IIRC they will implement something called
'multi-arch' to allow 32 and 64 bit apps to run.
Cheers,
Kev