PDF with big honkin images

I just got a pdf that contains about 125 images.  Although the image
size is small on the pages, inside the pdf the images are huge:

    ~$ imgsize 5images-121.ppm
    width="2286" height="1525"

and the resulting pdf file is thus huge.

Clearly, they just used some program like Word and resized the images
on the screen, but that didn't change the actual image size.

I can extract out the images using "pdfimages" and batch resize them.
But, is there a way to *replace* the images back into the pdf?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org