lirc mythtv pvr350 confusion

The system is Debian etch AMD64, 2.6.12-1-amd64-k8-smp

I'm trying to get the Hauppage remote that came with my pvr350 to work
with mythtv.  I have scan codes coming from mode2 --device=/dev/lirc1,
but can't figure out how to get mythtv to read them.  In the
mythtv-0.18.1 configure file lirc="yes". When I try to run lircd I get
this response,

lircd 0.7.2: there's no hardware I can use and no peers are specified

lircd is from the Debian lirc package.  My hardware.conf file is:

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
# Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
LIRCD_ARGS=""
#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
START_LIRCMD=false
#Try to load appropriate kernel modules -- loaded at boot
LOAD_MODULES=false
# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER="null"
# If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
# automatically used instead
DEVICE="/dev/lirc1"
MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_i2c"
# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf"
LIRCMD_CONF=""

I have ~/.mythtv/lircrc in place.  I'm wondering if, with "native
lirc" in mythtv, I actually need lircd.  But mostly I'm wondering what
I've missed in the setup.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Don
Don Hayward at pomobuli.net