Re: UNRESOLVED: Re: Mutt: how to mark multiple spams?

on Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:45:06AM -0600, Lance Simmons (lance@lsimmons.net) wrote:
> * Ken Wahl <kwahl@nc.rr.com> [060131 22:09]:
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 05:55:17PM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> > > Right now, when spam makes it through spamassassin, I report it with an
> > > "X" according to the following line in my .muttrc:
> > >
> > >  macro index X "|/usr/bin/spamassassin -r\n<enter-command>unset wait_key\n<save-message>=spam/caughtspam\n" "Spamassassin report and classify as spam"
> > >
> > > Is there some way for me to tag multiple spams and then report them with
> > > a single keystroke?
> >

> > Tag the messages with "t" then ";" will prompt you as to what you want
> > to do with the tagged mails then just enter "X".  All of your tagged mails
> > will have the spamassassin macro applied to them.
>
> I forgot to add that I have tried doing just what you say, and it does
> not work.  Only the currently-highlighted message has the macro
> performed on it.  Which kind of makes sense, because the macro records
> keystrokes.
>
> I'm looking for something that will allow me to tag multiple spams and
> then report them all with one keystroke.  What you describe isn't it, at
> least not with the macro quoted above.  Does anyone have a better
> suggestion?

I'd tag the messages and move them to a folder.

That folder would automatically get a spam run against it periodically
which would:

  1.  Move the messages to an "active current process" location.
  2.  Score and report spam.
  3.  Move the messages to an archive or /dev/null (e.g.:  delete) when
      done

Have that happen periodically (every few minutes to every few hours) and
you've got a pretty painless system.  It's also going to give you less
latency in your mutt session as most of the processing is asyncronous to
your mail reading.

Peace.

    We implemented our scatter/gather I/O server in Simula-67, augmented
    with opportunistically pipelined extensions.
    - Stribling, et /dev/random, "Rooter"