Re: Backing up Windows using rsync

On Friday 03 February 2006 08:22, TAC Forums wrote:
>Hi
>
>We just got a new requirement: To automated the backup of the all the
> data on the network with the option of being able to retrieve/restore
> a file upto any 7 days.
>
>Current Setup:
>- 14 Windows workstations - 45 GB
>- 1 Linux server (Redhat). - 80 GB
>Total Backup: 125 GB (Max would grow to 200 GB in the next 2-3 years)
>
>I was planing to use rsync with SSH on Windows and the Linux server
> and schedule the script to copy the files/folders to a Debian based
> Linux server in the following folder structure:
>
>/backup/Monday/server
>/backup/Monday/ws01
>/backup/Monday/ws02
>/backup/Monday/ws03
>.
>.
>/backup/Tuesday/server
>/backup/Tuesday/ws01
>/backup/Tuesday/ws02
>/backup/Tuesday/ws03
>.
>.
>
>This would mean I'd need the Debian server storage capacity would need
> to be at least 200 GB x 7 = 1.4 TB.

I think you've a fairly good grip on it, however rsync might not be the
best method given the size of the total backups.  I think you could do
it in less space by using amanda provided you are willing to let amanda
do it her way, which is to shuffle level 0's and incrementals around
with an eye toward useing about the same amount of storage space for
each nights run.  Amanda has the FILE: tapetype which allows it to use
what are called virtual tapes on, in your case, a big raid5 setup. The
downside is the somewhat longer recovery time due to having to earch
thru this arrary of virtual tapes (but at the raids speed, not at the
access speed of a real tape which would take at least 20x longer) in
order to find the newest version of all the data to restore.  Amanda
can also restore to past dates that are still within her 'tapecycle'
days in the past.

But its up to you at the end of the day.  We're using rsync into a raid5
array of 4 ea 320GB disks at the tv station, but we are only backing up
the billing/traffic/GM/GSM machines.  Sales is left to do their own
housekeeping, and news is on a seperate subnet with their own stuff.
We use a weekly cycle with rsync using a different directory for each
night, then reuse them again come monday.  That raid is currently at
about 60% capacity so we have growing room for at least as long as
those 320's will last.

>Question: Is there a better way to do what I'm doing? And is there
> already a piece of software that exists on the NET that does what I'm
> doing better and I should trying to re-invent the wheel? :-)
>
>Any ideas / tips are most welcome.

Take a look at amanda (and there is a very good support list at
amanda-users@amanda.org).  Its more fun setup initialy, but once setup
its pretty much a hands off deal till you need to recover something.
My daily work here includes taking the one page printout off the
printer & stacking it, and cleaning up the stack when it gets too
tall. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: